Structured Workplace Learning (SWL)
About the program
If you’re currently enrolled in a VET or VCAL program at school, Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) offers some fantastic career opportunities. The program helps you find a work placement in an area relevant to your studies so you can gain hands-on experience in an industry of interest to you. As well as giving you an insight into what future employers are looking for, work placements are a valuable addition to your resume.
To learn more about SWL, check out this fantastic guide for parents and students.
Advantages of SWL for students
Students who undertake an SWL placement benefit in the following ways:
- Gain industry experience in a workplace setting
- Learn important skills related to their study
- Receive on-the-job training to support VET programs
- Establish valuable connections with employers
Advantages of SWL for employers
Employers involved in our SWL program regularly report that the initiative provides them with the ability to:
- Have a positive influence on the career development of young people in our community
- Increase the training and mentoring skills of existing employees
- Promote the attitudes and skills they expect in their workforce
- Identify young people with industry potential
- Strengthen links with the community
- Raise the business profile of their business
If you’re a student, teacher, parent, or employer, a great place to start looking for opportunities is on the SWL Statewide Portal. You can search for placements relevant to industries or courses.
One handy feature of the portal is the ability for students to share currently available positions with their teachers, via the ‘Share With Your Teacher’ button. This allows students and teachers to review placement options together.
Find out more
If you can’t find what you’re looking for via the SWL Statewide Portal, or you need help to navigate the site, please let your teacher know so they can get in touch with our Partnerships and Pathways Coordinator. By chatting about your interests, they can help find the perfect placement for you.
Phone: 03 5352 3266
Mobile: 0417 589 973